September 1, 2010
NIS Astana was founded as Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Chemistry and Biology.
July 12, 2011
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Chemistry and Biology decided to pursue authorisation for the International Baccalaureate Diploma Programme. In order to reflect the multidisciplinary nature of the International Baccalaureate (IB), chemistry and biology were removed from the school’s name, and the school was renamed Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana.
September 21, 2011
A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools AEO (Autonomous Educational Organisation) and the International Baccalaureate Organization about pursuit of authorisation.
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana was granted ‘Candidate School’ status for the Diploma Programme.
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana was successfully authorized Diploma Programme and received ‘IB World School’ status. NIS Astana is only school in the Nazarbayev Intellectual Schools network which offers IB programmes and qualifications.
May 2, 2013
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana became a candidate school for the Middle Years Programme.
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana became an authorized IB World School for Middle Years Programme.
“IB World Schools that share a common philosophy – a commitment to high quality, challenging, and international education.”
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana (IB) has received the Certificate of Accreditation of the Council of International Schools (CIS).
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Nur-Sultan city has passed the IB Evaluation Visit. Each school authorized as IB school should experience evaluation every five years due to the IB requirements. Each IB curriculum, realized by any of IB school is evaluated separately. It is necessary to point out that Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Nur-Sultan city applied for the evaluation of the Middle Years Program and Diploma Program at the same time. The school received the Report of the International Baccalaureate that school successfully passed the evaluation visit on the 23rd of October, 2019.
Nazarbayev Intellectual School of Astana offers and provides:
- a world class quality, transferable education;
- outstanding opportunities and perspectives;
- attention to individual students’ education and talents;
- a trilingual learning environment: Kazakh, our official national language; Russian, a major language of transnational dialogue; and, English, the language for successful integration into the world economy and academia;
- top performances in national and international academic competitions;
- social projects led by our own students for the benefit of war veterans, orphans, and disabled people;
- excellent information communication technology infastructure;
- the unity of teaching and learning which together constitute an integral educational system aimed at formation of students’ personal attributes (IB learner profile)
- the involvement of all stakeholders in the life of the school;
- a safe and beneficial environment for harmonious development of each and every child;
- contemporary laboratories which enable the development of students’ research skills;
- modern classrooms with interactive multimedia equipment;
- laptops with wireless internet for every student;
- a library with the facilities and technology, and a trilingual collection, to ensure the quality of the educational process;
- a spacious assembly hall, conference room, and atrium;
- sports, gymnastics, gym, dance halls; and,
- football pitches, basketball and volleyball courts, and a running track.
Our highly-qualified teaching professionals provide the basis for the successful implementation of education and learning process in the school.
Our teaching staff is comprised of international as well as local teachers.
Our teachers regularly participate in continuing professional development, and have in recent years attended training sessions and conferences in Switzerland, Norway, England, Italy, Spain, Ireland, Sweden, Singapore, Russia, and Columbia.
NIS Astana regularly conducts seminars with the participation of speakers from world famous universities and schools in cooperation with the International Baccalaureate in order to facilitate information and expertise exchange.